Edson Buddle could still wind up a Toffee.
Speaking to the Guardian, Everton manager David Moyes said the club plans to make a decision on the American forward by Monday.
From the Guardian (at the bottom):
Moyes is considering a deal for the United States international Edson Buddle after the striker, who currently plays for Ingolstadt in the German second division, spent this week on trial at Everton. “We will talk about it over the weekend,” added the Everton manager. “I would like to add if I can. We are certainly short at centre-half right now and I have always said that if we can get a centre-forward in then that would be great.”
Buddle has spent the last week on trial with Everton from his parent club FC Ingolstadt in Germany’s second tier.
Buddle has managed a decent output for Ingolstadt so far this season with six goals in 17 league matches, but things have oddly soured between the two sides for reasons not entirely known. Hence Buddle being allowed to take a one-week trial with the English Premier League side.
Buddle shares the same agent as two current Americans at Everton: goalkeeper Tim Howard and winger-on-loan Landon Donovan. US goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann also plays for the Liverpool-based club.
Everton has managed just 21 goals through 21 matches so far this season, a tally that is higher than just three other EPL clubs, so the Toffees could certainly use the help up front. Australian forward Tim Cahill has yet to find his form this season, and newcomer Denis Stracqualursi has looked uncomfortable since arriving in England. Promising youngster Vic Anichebe’s play up front has been the lone bright spot for the Everton attack, but he’s wrestled with injuries throughout his career and is still thought to be a bit raw to be an everyday starter.